Dining News: New Chef at The Kitchen
July 22, 2015
Video of Kelly McCown from 2004.
For the third time in 2.5 years, The Kitchen has a new executive chef.
The Selland Group announced yesterday that Kelly McCown would take over for David Chavez as executive chef of The Kitchen. Chavez was preceded in recent years by John Griffiths and Noah Zonca.
McCown most recently served as the driving culinary force behind the upcoming 'Obo Italian Restaurant by the Selland Group. He has also worked at Napa's Goose & Gander and served as executive chef at Ella, another Selland restaurant.
Chavez, according to the Sacramento Bee's Allen Pierleoni, decided to move back to Los Angeles to take a job with Sprouts.
“Because of construction issues, (the opening of OBO’) is taking much longer than we thought, so we probably won’t open until January or February now,” said Randall Selland. “Kelly helped Nancy (Zimmer, Selland’s wife and a partner in the group) develop all the recipes for OBO’, and when David decided to move back to Los Angeles and take a job with Sprouts, Kelly said he was ready to commit to (The Kitchen job). We’ll find another chef for OBO’ when the time comes. (The situation) just sped things up. Kelly wants to make a career with us, and we’re really lucky.”
“Ultimately, we knew Kelly would play a role in The Kitchen,” added Josh Nelson, Selland’s son and co-owner of The Kitchen. “David had committed himself for only two to three years. The timing just happened the way it did.”
Read the entire story in the Sac Bee.
The Kitchen remains on track to move to Broadway. I drive by its new location every day and demolition continues on the existing building.
I do wish Chef Chavez good luck. I spotted him at a recent preview for Billy Ngo's Fish Face Poke Bar. I don't know if he was pushed out or left on his own, but I enjoyed his accessibility, showmanship and the food he served.
Click here to read the entire press release.
Another local cupcake shop crumbles - A cupcake shop in Roseville has closed, suggesting the rise of doughnut ice cream sandwiches and bite-size desserts continues to mute the local cupcake obsession. Cupcake A La Mode permanently closed on July 11, according to a post on its Facebook page. Sonya Sorich in Sac Biz Journal.
More details about new horror-themed doughnut shop - The chances that a horror-themed doughnut shop will open in the Sacramento area certainly exceed the likelihood that a pretty actress will survive a scary movie. Donut Madness is on track to open in about a month, according to owner Kipp Berdiansky. The new store at Watt Avenue and Kings Way in Arden-Arcade combines doughnuts and the horror genre. Sonya Sorich in Sac Biz Journal.
Gastronomicon: Del Taco Platos put the bar dangerously high - Does that mean that the Platos are a failure? Certainly not. The offerings are fine choices (although I’ll always give fast-food fish a fearful side-eye, even if unwarranted), and the quantity and presentation matched well with the price point. If they sound appealing to you, give them a go. I imagine you’ll be more than a little impressed. Anthony Siino in Sac News & Review.
About a Bite Bakery and Harvest Bar open on K Street - Two new food concepts opened last week in one location: About a Bite Bakery and Harvest Bar. The storefront at 1200 K Street features two distinct bars with display cases—About a Bite’s cookies and confections on the right, Harvest’s grab-and-go sandwiches on the left—as well as a shared, sizeable outdoor patio. Janelle Bitker in Sac News & Review.
Counter Culture: Heaps o’ meat and spuds in Auburn, then pie - So many restaurants have preciously clever names, or names so obscure or confusing they don’t mean anything until the managers explain them. On the other side of that is Meat and Potatoes in Auburn, which has as straightforward a link to its lunch and dinner menus as possible. “It says we’re going back to basics,” said co-owner Michael Smith. Allen Pierleoni in the Sac Bee.
Continue reading "Dining News: New Chef at The Kitchen" »